Back to games.asobrain.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2015, 01:12:40 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  AsoBrain Games Forums
|-+  Games
| |-+  Xplorers
| | |-+  New quitter system
« previous next »
Go DownPages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: New quitter system  (Read 11062 times)
Aso
Administrator

« on: February 12, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »

Because quitting is one of the most irritating problems for both other players and the crew, we decided it was time to make some changes. A. Many people are bummed when their game is not ranked because of an opponnent losing connectin. B. Some players use the two 'free' quits to get out of a big loss. We think we will tackle both problems with our new quitter system.

1. Every finished game in the ranking lobby will be ranked (so, doesn't matter if someone left early).
2. The final score of the replacing bot will count for the person who abandoned the game.
3. There is no bot-replace options anymore. No abandonned player can be replaced.
4. You will not be able to start a new game when abandoning one in the same lobby until the game is over.
5. 1st quit: 0pts penalty, 2nd quit: -2pts penalty, 3rd quit: -4pts penalty, 4th quit: -6pts penalty, etc. etc.
6. The ranking ban at 5 (currently 4) quits will remain as it is.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:49:48 PM by Aso » Logged
Ted m

Play AsoBrain Games!

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:47:38 PM »

I think you have found a great solution to the problem without being too hard on those who really do lose their connections.  The only problem is that it can work in your favour if you play worse than a bot Wink.

One question, what is the minimum number of points a quitter can get?  If the bot finishes with 5 on a player's 4'th quit, does the player get -1 points or is it still a minimum of 2 points?

Good job,

Ted
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 09:51:12 PM by Ted m » Logged
Horrorfan
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »

that sounds great. thanks for the change and i believe that this will change how some people play.
Cheaboi
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:09:31 PM »

Sounds fantastic.  When will these rules take effect?  I ask because a player in my current game abandoned the game and has been replaced by someone else.  And the game wasn't ranked...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:13:32 PM by Cheaboi » Logged
Aso
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:20:10 PM »

One question, what is the minimum number of points a quitter can get?  If the bot finishes with 5 on a player's 4'th quit, does the player get -1 points or is it still a minimum of 2 points?

The penalty no-longer applies to your game Victory points, but to your final ranking score. So if the bot would score 5 and you would get -10 pts, you would now get -18 points (fourth quit).
X00x
(x0) ***

Play AsoBrain Games!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 12:00:07 AM »

The penalty no-longer applies to your game Victory points, but to your final ranking score. So if the bot would score 5 and you would get -10 pts, you would now get -18 points (fourth quit).

Sorry if I'm daft - but are these penalties reset or do they run for the year?  I prefer the latter as I don't quit Smiley and ppl who use their monthly quits as freebees would be severely punished by the end of the year.
Bubble

rock it dont stop it

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »

I love this idea. 

Would the rules still stay the same if there is a genuine disconnect?  Say if I was disconneted, could I return to my game?  How much time would I have to get in?

Flayor

Play AsoBrain Games!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 12:47:56 AM »

I have a different take on all this.

I do not play to get points. I play cause I like the game, the players and your site (for the most part - got some suggestions and some day I'll note them).

A lot of times the game is over and you're just playing to finish (and not get hit with a quit - so you can keep playing). Why can't we have a resign button? Keep the program change you're going to do, (let a non-replaceable bot take over and give an escalaing point hit) but allow people to resign and get whatever the bot gives them in points.

If they resign also allow them to go to another game. I play chess (along with many, many other games) and there is nothing wrong with a resign (or in the Magic the Gathering world - scooping).

Maybe I'm missing something but I've played games online here where the result is obvious and I've quipped "Where's the concede button"?  Grin
Aso
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 01:17:48 AM »

Flayor, there is one major problem with resigning, and that is there are 3 players instead of 2. If you resign, who gets the win? If you abandon a bot plays the game for you, and lets face it: bots sometimes make bad decisions... So, my view on this is, quitting is a unwanted problem. If you start a game, be willing to end it and take the blow...
{LUCK}Watsaname
Manager

Play AsoBrain Games!

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 01:33:56 AM »

YAY 
Tazilon
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 02:26:09 AM »

Chess is a 2 player game.  If one person resigns, the game is over.  Here, the game continues. 

Here is a perfect reason why people should not quit when they think the winner is set (besides the fact it is rude):  yesterday a clan member though tI had won on my last turn and quit while I was moving.  He happened to leave exactly as I discovered the waterfall.  His quit notice popped up .001 seconds before my waterfall selection window.  I had to close the quit notice before I could pick the card but it wouldnt let me.  I ended up not being able to pick a card and not being able to close the quit window.  The problem was, I was going to take his long road and decrease his score as I won.  Because I could not move, we had to abandon the game.  I got the win since I already had 17 but I  didn't get to take long, which impacted how the game affected our scores.   If you are about to lose, be polite and wait til its over to leave.

These new rules are a great improvement over the old ones.  It is sad they are needed at all. 

Consider this idea:  when someone quits, allow the other players to vote to invoke a penalty or not.   Just as we vote to boot someone who is inactive for 3 minutes, let us vote to penalize them if they don't return within 10 minutes. 10 minutes is plenty for most people who disconnect through no fault of their own.  In this vote, however, it only takes 1 other player to invoke the penalty.   Only if both players vote no is the penalty not assessed.  Then, since people get 10 minutes to reconnect (so discoes should not be an issue) start the penalties at -5 and work downwards from there.

If you have one of those weird circumstances where you end up booted for a long time or have an emergency in real life, one -5 penalty won't ruin your life.  Odds are, it won't happen very often.  But if you are one of the many who make a game of playing the penalty system for your free passes each month, then the stricter penalties WILL hurt you.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 03:27:30 AM »

I must say I like this new System. Great Idea Smiley
Razorshine

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 04:10:14 AM »

Well implemented Aso.  I wouldn't change a thing.

The ideas expressed in this post are the sole property of RazorShine and do not represent the views or policy of Asobrain.com or any of its managers, operators, or users.
Mpb
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 05:25:26 AM »

with the "no replacing bots" rule, if you get accidentally disconnected, will you still be able to come back to finish your game?

if not, the new rule would actually increase the number of quits and penalties, which isn't very good, and not very fair either

advise?
Mpb
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 05:32:08 AM »

for example, the server just hiccupped, and i as well as others in games (now complaining in the lobby) were disconnected.

the "no replacing bots" would prevent all of us from returning to our games, which we started in good faith and fully intend to finish

the rule would penalise good faith players and that is not right

i think an allowance should be made for a bot to be replaced by the player whose place it was originally

is that fair?
Go UpPages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length